If you are thinking of taking a winter trip, these Lake Tahoe winter activities make it worth visiting! It is one of the most beautiful places to visit in the winter once the snow has fallen. Yes, it’s even worth braving the cold winter temps!
While Lake Tahoe is located in California, it’s located in the northern part. This is why the area gets snow and cooler temps. This allows you to enjoy the winter sports and activities and the beauty that winter brings.
When Should You Take Your Winter Vacation to Lake Tahoe?
January and February are the best months to take your winter trip to Lake Tahoe. Lake Tahoe has been known to get snow as early as October. However, visiting in January or February will give you a better chance of enjoying the snow activities.
What is there to do in Lake Tahoe in the winter?
If you are looking to skip the winter beach destinations and head to the frigid temps, head to Lake Tahoe! You will find some of the best Lake Tahoe Winter Activities.
Don’t forget to grab your printable daily travel and itinerary schedule!
Lake Tahoe Winter Activities
1. South Lake Tahoe Beer Trail
Want to skip out on skiing or other snow adventures? Head out on the South Lake Tahoe Beer Trail. Or, enjoy the trail and some craft beer and signature taps after a day of snow fun. It’s one of the most popular Lake Tahoe Winter Activities.
In the past few years, there have been quite a few new breweries that have popped up. Many have become the new hot spot for locals. These breweries are part of the famous South Lake Tahoe Beer Trail.
- South Lake Brewing Co.
- Brewery at Lake Tahoe
- The Hangar Taproom and Bottle Shop
- Lake Tahoe AleWorX
- South of North Brewing Co.
- Stateline Brewery & Restaurant
- Cold Water Brewery & Grill
- The Hangar
Throughout the trail, each brewery offers its own flavors of craft beer and something for everyone to experience. If you’d like to find out more or download a map of the South Tahoe Beer Trail, head over to the Tahoe Chamber website.
2. Skiing – One of the Most Popular Lake Tahoe Winter Activities
Lake Tahoe is known for being home to some of the best, and most famous, ski resorts in the world. Many visitors go to Lake Tahoe just for the skiing adventure. Why? Because in Lake Tahoe, skiing gives you some of the best slopes and views that you can find.
Whether you are a beginner or master at the slopes, Lake Tahoe is full of ski slopes and resorts that you can have fun at. Each has its own courses and many are based on your skill level. If it will be your first time skiing, guides can help teach you how to ski and navigate the slopes.
Lake Tahoe Ski Resorts Worth Visiting
- Palisades Tahoe (formally Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows) – One of the largest ski resorts in the Lake Tahoe region. Palisades Tahoe is a beautiful resort to visit. It features 6,000 skiable acres that expand across two mountains. It’s also home to dozens of Olympic and World Cup athletes that participate in snow sports.
- Heavenly – One of the most popular resorts in the area, Heavenly offers unforgettable adventures. There are 4 areas of Heavenly, each having their own reasons to check them out. One of the popular hot spots is Heavenly Village which offers a variety of restaurants, pubs, casinos, and more. Many like to enjoy the town hotspots and then take a gondola ride to the slopes.
- Sierra at Tahoe – Another one of Lake Tahoe’s biggest resorts is the Sierra at Tahoe. In addition to skiing, you can find activities like snow tubing, mountain tours, showshoeing, and much more.
- Northstar California – A family resort that gives you an upscale ski experience. You’ll find spas, upscale dining, and lots of activities for both kids and adults. The only downside is that because it is more upscale and luxurious, it can be a bit more pricey. It is also worth noting that the slopes are more advanced. That means newbies will want to get a little practice in before trying to tackle them.
3. Enjoy a Day At The Spa – Most Relaxing Lake Tahoe Winter Activities
Want to be pampered and relaxed during your visit to Lake Tahoe? If you have been out on the slopes and want to unwind or just want to take a day to be pampered, a spa day will be enjoyable.
Lake Tahoe is home to many spas and each will give you a unique experience.
The Lighthouse Spa and Massage has two different locations in the Lake Tahoe area. You’ll find an impressive selection of massage treatments to enjoy.
You can also check out the Massage on the Lake Day Spa. This spa offers some of the finest therapeutic massages in the area.
4. Go Ice Skating
Head out to the ice rink and skate your heart out in Lake Tahoe! Lake Tahoe is home to a few different resorts that give you a chance to take advantage of the ice.
One notable ice rink is in Squaw Valley. In Squaw Valley, you can head up to the Olympic Ice Pavilion by riding the tram up to High Camp. At the Pavilion, you will get to skate on one of the most well-known ice-skating rinks. You will also get to see some of the most breathtaking views the area has to offer. Northstar Ski Resort also offers a skating rink during the winter months.
5. Take a Snowmobile Tour
A friendly family adventure that you can do in Lake Tahoe. Taking a snowmobile tour through some of the best areas is a great Lake Tahoe winter activity. Many of the tours will have you traveling through the National Forest in Lake Tahoe.
Where to experience some of the best snowmobile tours:
Zephyr Cove Resort – With over 45 miles of trails, the Zephyr Cove Resort in Lake Tahoe is a must. It is one of the top destinations for snowmobile tours. Rent a snowmobile and take the scenic lake view tour if that tickles your fancy. Or get the ultimate experience by taking a tour through the backcountry.
6. Head Out on a Snow Tube!
Snow tubing is a fun family activity that everyone can enjoy. In Lake Tahoe, you can take to the hills and ride the tubes down some of the best snow tubing areas.
7. Go Fat Tire Snow Biking – Best of the Lake Tahoe Winter Activities
It’s like riding a bike. Well, just like a bike that has super-wide snow tires that allow you to trek through the snow. It may not sound like much fun, but it can be a great out-of-the-box experience. It’s worth trying and it’s definitely a thrilling adventure.
8. Take the Aerial Tram
Ask any Lake Tahoe lover what you should do while you visit, and it’ll be the Aerial Tram. If this will be your first visit to Lake Tahoe, a trip on the Aerial Tram is a must.
The Aerial Tram is that it is a tram ride that takes you over 2,000 feet in the air. It’s a short 10-minute ride but just think about those stunning views you will be able to see!
9. Enjoy the Food
Don’t forget to try out some of the best traditional lodge food! Many of the local lodges offer a wonderful dining experience with exquisite food options.
If the lodge food isn’t your thing, you will find a variety of different restaurants in the Lake Tahoe area. All of which offer delicious winter comfort food.
Whether you want a relaxing day in the winter weather or want to experience the snow sports, Lake Tahoe is a great place to visit.
Looking forward to summer? These summer midwest destinations should be on your list to visit!